Saturday, January 3, 2009

BLACKADDER RIDES AGAIN!!

To commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the sit-com Blackadder, the BBC screened a documemtary, looking back at the history of the show featuring interviews with members of the cast.
It reminded me just how special and side-splittingly funny this programme was and also how it will never, ever be bettered.
Here is a quick sketch of my all time favorite sit-com character (George Constanza is a close second!), Captain Edmund Blackadder from the fourth series 'Blackadder Goes Forth'.
All four series are absolute legendary works of genius, as are Rowan Atkinson's performances. Sadly, he went down in my estimation slightly when he went on to create the incredibly irritating Mr. Bean.

3 comments:

Matt Ryder said...

This is great Ken. Black adder is one of my favourite shows (have every episode ever made). Really like this. How about a baldick to match ?

Paul Moyse said...

Love this show too Ken, I must have seen each episode a thousand times.

As for the caricature, I think you've missed the likeness on this one. His jawline and cheek are stretched too wide, making him look a little chubby. I think the expression needs work as well.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to seeing some great stuff on here in 2009! Happy New Year Ken!

kencoogan said...

Thanks Matt, I've already started Baldrick but it's difficult getting decent reference photos!! The problem is he's just too handsome!! :)

Paul, funny you should mention the jawline. I had already reduced it (yes, it was bigger than it is now!) as I initially thought it was too big. I still wasn't 100% happy with it so I've started a new Blackadder (complete with Baldrick)that I hope to post here in the next day or so.
As for his expression, that's also a tricky one as he is mostly expressionless (part of what makes his one-liners so funny)) so I found that quite hard to get that across in a caricature. Thanks as always for the tips!!